# What it is
# Features and Philosophy
- Server configuration and initialization
- WebSocket communications
- Distributed state management
- Support browser AND Node.js clients.
- Plugin host for external functionalities such as:
- clock synchronization
- runtime distributed scripting
- data recording
- Reduced surface API (at least try...)
# What it is not
If you are reading this section, you are probably at the wrong place
- Not a framework to develop regular websites, while its probably feasible to do so if you like problems.
- Not a ready to use application, you will need to code. If you are looking for this kind of thing, please check the project page (opens new window)
- Probably a lot of other things...
# Academic Papers
- Benjamin Matuszewski. A Web-Based Framework for Distributed Music System Research and Creation. AES - Journal of the Audio Engineering Society Audio-Accoustics-Application, Audio Engineering Society Inc, 2020. <hal-03033143 (opens new window)>
- Benjamin Matuszewski. Soundworks - A Framework for Networked Music Systems on the Web - State of Affairs and New Developments. Proceedings of the Web Audio Conference (WAC) 2019, Dec 2019, Trondheim, Norway. <hal-02387783 (opens new window)>
- Benjamin Matuszewski, Norbert Schnell, Frédéric Bevilacqua. Interaction Topologies in Mobile-Based Situated Networked Music Systems. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, 2019, 2019, pp.9142490. ⟨10.1155/2019/9142490⟩. <hal-02086673 (opens new window)>
- Norbert Schnell, Sébastien Robaszkiewicz. Soundworks – A playground for artists and developers to create collaborative mobile web performances. Proceedings of the Web Audio Conference (WAC'15), 2015, Paris, France. <hal-01580797 (opens new window)>
You can see a number of music pieces and artworks created using
soundworks on the Ircam - Sound Music Movement Interaction team youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/ircam-ismm (opens new window)
soundworks has been initiated by Norbert Schnell (opens new window), Sébastien Robaszkiewicz (opens new window), and Benjamin Matuszewski (opens new window) at the ISMM (opens new window) team at Ircam - Centre Pompidou (opens new window) in the framework of the CoSiMa (opens new window) research project supported by the French National Research Agency (ANR) (opens new window).
Further development of the framework has been conducted in the context of:
- The RAPID-MIX project (opens new window), funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme.
- The Ircam project BeCoMe
- The Constella(c)tions residency of the STARTS program of the European Commission.
Development is being pursued, led by Benjamin Matuszewski (opens new window), in the Interaction Music Mouvement Team (opens new window) from the Ircam's STMS-LAB (opens new window).